Friday, August 5, 2011

The Claddagh Ring

This is the Claddagh Ring. It is the Irish symbol of love and even marriage. It is often worn as an engagement ring or as a symbol of one's heart being either open or closed. If the ring is worn with the heart facing down as shown in the picture above, it means your heart is taken. But if you wear the ring upside down with the heart facing upwards, it means your heart is open and you are ready to find love. I bought one of these from a rather lovely man at his street cart on Grafton Street a few days before I came home. It now resides on my ring finger and officially takes the place of the promise ring Coleman gave me that was sadly too big and flew off my finger during our fishing adventure at the beach. These rings are absolutely beautiful and come in all sorts of different metals and some even include diamonds or other jewels. When I look down at the ring, it not only serves as a reminder of my trip to Ireland, but of my love. And the even better news is that it fits perfectly and I don't expect it to come flying off anytime soon. I'm even more proud to be Irish now because they sure do have a great taste for jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment